You are here its mean you are facing the problem of shortcut virus and want to remove shortcut virus from Pendrive Anyone who uses a computer has faced the problem of shortcut virus. Folks try to remove it by deleting the data and formatting the device but it does not work. Rather than to remove the virus it results in spreading the virus in the whole PC. Which is another headache! As I remember when I got this shortcut virus the first time. I tried scanning my USB drive through Antivirus but the problem remains unsolved. Then I don’t know how but it spread into every drive in my PC, In the end, I install a new window my PC and bought a new USB data traveler as I was unable to remove shortcut virus from it.
First of all, you have to know
- What is shortcut virus? Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive.
- Where does it come from?
- How it spread in PC?
- How to remove it?
There is no specific definition for it but it is known as USB shortcut virus. The virus makes a shortcut in the drive of any files and folder on your drive and hides the original file inside of it. Sometimes it goes worse and you can’t find files even inside the shortcut created by the virus. However, the data on the drive is on the drive but you can’t see it. The virus comes with fastest multiplying capability so if you connect an infected USB to your computer so it creates the more and more shortcut and this virus transfer from each and every device connected to it. The more time goes the more it get stronger. Depending on the type of virus sometimes the virus even delete your data.
Firs off all I want to tell you a trick from which you can access your data without removing the shortcut virus on the drive. Try this method if you need your file on an urgent basis and you don’t have the time to remove the virus. However, it is recommended that remove the virus first and then open the drive. The trick is that that use the search bar at the right corner of the windows explorer and do a search for the data you want. This how you can access your data without further harming your PC or USB.
There are three possible ways through which this virus make an access to your computer.
From the Internet.
You download any third party file from the internet. The file contains the virus. You extract or run the file thus the virus spread into your PC
Through infected USB
You bought USB of your friend or any relative. USB contain a virus file in it. At the time when you connect the USB to your computer, it secretly transfers from the USB to your computer
You give or connect your USB to any ones PC and his/her PC is already infected by it. You Connect your drive to your PC for any purpose and it spread
Through CD/ DVD
CDs and DVD usually do not contain any virus. However, there is a probability that there an infected file on the CD or DVD drive. You insert the disk for any purpose and it goes viral on your computer.
How to prevent USB shortcut virus for further infiltration?
- First of all, you have to obey some precautions before connecting the USB to your computer. Make sure that you have disabled autorun for all devices on the computer. Download Autorundiabler from here.
- Install an Anti-virus program. Don’t have one get one free from here.
- Perform regular scans
- Don’t download files from third party site ( not trusted sites )
- Make sure your windows is up to date
- Move to Linux if you can because there is no concept of virus in Linux.
How to open a file infected by shortcut virus?
If it is very necessary to open the USB drive, but my advice is to stay away from this thought until you remove the virus from it. well, anyways there is a trick by which you can see the content inside a USB drive. To see the contents do not open it through an autorun or simply double clicking on the drive but by right-click on the drive icon and click on explore. In this way, you can see the contents of the drive without getting further damage.
If it doesn’t work for you follow the method below it will definitely work
- Plugin your Pendrive. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive.
- Scan it with antivirus ( must be updated till date )
- Go to the infected USB and select the infected file shortcut and right click on it and go to properties
- navigate to shortcut tab
- In the link, option remove/erase the old link
- Write k:/ in there and scroll down and select the original file link
- At the end of this link you there is “ .link ” written delete/ remove it.
- Press apply and then ok. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive
- Now double tap the shortcut to open and boom now you can access the files infected by shortcut virus.
Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive
In this tutorial, I will teach you about ten methods to remove the shortcut virus from the USB and also refer some software for those who are noobs to the computer. So let’s begin
Stopping Script method
This method is very simple in this method you have to stop script and that’s it. As you stop script the virus will die on its own. Follow the steps and remove shortcut virus.
- Plug in your Infected USB drive and don’t open it.
- First of all press windows key + R
- Then type wscript.exe and run
- A window appears named ” windows script host settings “
- Click to tick on stop script after specific number of settings
- Apply the settings. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive.
- Now to remove it from computer go to ‘ C ‘ drive and use the search box at the right corner and search for WScript
- A bunch of files appears there select all and delete
- Don’t do force delete just skip the files which are not able to delete
- Now the virus is removed from the USB drive.
or you can also do this in another way
- Plugin you shortcut virus infected USB
- Now press ctrl + shift + Esc
- Task manager window appears
- Go to process and search for wscript.exe
- Select the file and Press End process button
- This how the virus is stopped temporary but in order to stop it permanently
- Go to start menu and type MSConfig
- Navigate to startup. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive
- Search f0r Microsoft windows script host uncheck it
- Apply the settings. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive
- The computer asks for reboot
- Reboot computer and you will never get into it again
Shortcut virus removal using command prompt
- First of all plugin you Pendrive
- Press windows key + R
- Then type cmd. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive
- A black coloured window appear
- type1attrib -h -r -s /s /d k:\ *.*
- Replace the letter k with drive letter of the Pendrive
Try using WinRAR
This is another method for removing shortcut virus from Pendrive. Follow the steps below.
- Open WinRAR. Download it from here if you don’t have one.
- Navigate to your Pendrive
- Now you only see the original files rather than the file with shortcuts.
- Copy the files through it to another safe destination
- Then format the infected Pendrive. Remove shortcut virus from Pendrive.
- For safety, purpose scans it with Malwarebytes
Permanent virus removal solution [ .bat file ]
In this method, we have to make a coded .bat file which removes viruses and ensure that it may not proceed further. This is very easy but effective. Don’t worry you don’t have to code the file just follow the instruction
Open a notepad/text document ( right click on desktop > new > notepad/text document )
Then copy the code and paste it
Now go to file > save as > filename : .bat and select file type all files
attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d G:*.*
/* Replace 'G' with the drive letter */
And within no time it swipes all the viruses in the drive. This method works fine but in case if it doesn’t work move on to the next one.
Remove shortcut virus by editing registry files
This is not rocket science it is an easy and effective method to cut the roots of shortcut virus within a couple of mins. In this method, we will find the viruses which are penetrated in registry file because of which you get it again and again even after cleaning them.
Open Task manager ( press ctrl + shift + Esc or go to taskbar right-click on it > task manager )
Navigate to the processes tab search for Exe file if you find it select it and press end task
Now open run ( press windows key + R ) type regedit and press ok
This results in the opening of registry editor > HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Run now look for registry key named as odwcamszas now right-click on it and delete it.
If the shortcut virus had not invaded the registry then you might not find the above registry key. If key file is not present then that’s mean you are safe.
Shortcut virus removal using software
There are a whole bunch of software available online through which you can remove shortcut virus and other viruses from your USB. I first thought that I should make a step by step tutorial for it but as it is so damn easy to use so I refuse to do so. However, if you need any kind of help regarding using any software linked below don’t hesitate to use the comment box below to let me know. I will answer your queries ASAP.
CyberGod USB protector
This is a viable instrument for evacuating shortcut infection in your removable drive. Simply select your drive and sweep for the issues and alter it! Inoculate your drive so that your drive won’t execute naturally and in this way lessens the usefulness of infections incredibly. It gets a five-star rating and positive reviews.
Shortcut Virus Remover
Shortcut Virus Remover is a simple to utilize the application, fit for recognizing the nearness of the Shortcut danger. The product can without much of a stretch alter the harm done by the infection, accordingly reestablishing every one of the symbols in the chose drive. The application is lightweight and requires just that you select the drive you wish to clean
If you need more software so follow this link
I hope that these methods are enough to teach you how to protect a Pendrive with shortcut virus and if you are already affected due to this virus so how to remove it. If you know a better way to get rid of it let me know. Comment below and let the people know which method works for you. Use the comment box below if you have any queries suggestion 🙂